Welcome to Journalism That Matters
Join over 1200 journalists, activists, citizen journalists, and civic leaders around the country already involved with JTM.
Connect, ¬†experience an unconference, publish your own blog, find support for a new media idea, join an initiative,¬†follow our sessions, get inspired, develop resources, cross-pollinate ideas with community activists ‚Ä¶ there are all sorts of ways you can participate in on JTM activities.
Are you in print journalism? Online media?¬†Television? Are you a blogger? Educator? Community activist? Photographer? Media Reformer? Check our members list to see who shares your interests and geographic area.
- Sign up and get inspired
- Check out our members
- Check out the initiatives JTM members are making happen
- Learn about our unconferences
- Create a JTM blog page
- Join an online session
- Join our Google Groups
JTM Online is currently being developed to assist JTM members by providing social networking technologies including member profiles, a searchable / sort-able members directory, friend connections, and public and private messaging between members.
At the social heart of JTM Online are activity streams – one for each member and one collective activity stream for all members. Members can publish updates directly to their activity streams, reply directly to others‚Äô updates, collect a list of favorite updates, recommend others‚Äô updates, and so on. Activity stream updates are also published automatically to mark events such as a member joining JTM Online or two members becoming friends.
Multimedia including photos, videos, and documents can be directly embedded, i.e. viewable within JTM Online, simply by pasting a link into an update from popular sites like YouTube and Flickr.¬†Each activity stream update has its own permanent URL, useful to people and to search engines alike, enabling direct references and a well seen architecture.
JTM Online enables members to:
- Have a member profile
- View all public JTM sessions and the rest of JTM Online
- Mark activity updates as favorites and build a list of favorites as references
- Be listed and ‚Äúdiscoverable‚ÄĚ by others in the JTM members directory
- Create online sessions to discuss topics
- Create sessions to organize and develop projects and initiatives
- Share interests and membership in other organizations
Each online session has its own activity stream, which is both the primary means of communication within a session and a record of all that has occurred in a session. JTM Online members can publish updates to either their own profiles or directly to any session of which they are a member. Each update is given its own URL.
- File share documents, images, audio and video files, and archives comprised of other files.
- Categorize documents
- Receive notifications of session activity via email, including weekly digests and receiving an email for every update
- Create a session events calendar for meetings and other events
- Track one or more outside RSS feeds, creating activity stream updates automatically for each new item in the RSS feeds. Sessions may thus act as virtual water coolers, created to discuss the items in one or more RSS feeds, or as official, JTM-based representations of outside organizations.
Constraints as a 501(c)(3)
While we offer a space for many forms of communication, as a 501(c)(3), an area off-limits to us is any content which would constitute intervention in a political campaign. ¬†So be aware that the site is moderated. ¬†And we remove any content that could be construed in this way.