Submitted by Matt Renner on Fri, 05/28/2010 – 2:17pm
Session Reporter: Matt Renner
Conversationalist 1: Matt Renner
Conversationalist 2: Linda Jue
“We’re all dealing with different parts of the elephant.”
- The ghettoization of Independent Media as only something for liberals and elite/majority liberals at that.
- The way this “liberal” stigma keeps powerful journalism from being taken seriously.
- The fear or heightened caution of institutional funders to be associated with Independent Media because of this association with liberalism and the implied political slant.
- A possible takeover of Independent/New Media by traditional “old boys club” insiders who have been displaced as the traditional media crumbles.
- Past collaborations of Independent/New Media organizations and how they could be more effective.
- The different focus elements of the upcoming conference and how to make sure we spur collaboration instead of waiting for direction.
- How to incorporate racial and class diversity into New Media models.
We discussed Truthout.org, The Media Consortium, the Investigative News Network, ProPublica and other media organizations.
I came away from the conversation feeling like I had made a real connection with someone with a deep background in Independent Media who I look forward to meeting in person. Hopefully Linda came away from our conversation feeling like she met someone with a real passion for Independent/New Media and for figuring out how to make it work. We’re going to work together to continue to organize Independent/New Media activists and develop a more powerful and representative New Media landscape.