Can’t make it out to Portland for Elevate Engagement but still want to plug in from a distance? We’ve lined up a few ways to participate both asynchronously or synchronously.
- Twitter – Follow and join the conversation on Twitter using the hashtag #PDXengage17.
- Experience Engagement Facebook Group – Expanding on the Facebook group from our 2015 gathering, we’ll upload photos to this group.
And there will be two distinct sessions that we’ll broadcast live:
Thursday, May 18 at 6 p.m.
Lessons from the Field: Examples of Engaged Journalism – we’ll see some examples of what’s working. Lightning presenters include:
- Michelle Holmes, VP Content at al.com/Alabama Media Group
- Sarah Alvarez, Founder/Lead Reporter at Outlier Media
- Adriana Gallardo, ProPublica
- Shannon McGregor, Engaging News Project
- Cameron Whitten, Know Your City and Portland’s Resistance
- Ashley Alvarado, Public Engagement Manager, KPCC
We’ll be broadcasting this session on Facebook Live and Periscope. Watch this page and #pdxEngage17 Thursday afternoon for more details.
Friday, May 19 at 6:30 p.m.
Rebuilding Trust: Truth to Empower – a conversation among practitioner/scholars from different disciplines. Introduction and moderation by Regina Lawrence, UO-SOJC’s Agora Journalism Center. Conversation catalysts include:
- Meredith Clark, University of North Texas
- Lewis Friedland, University of Wisconsin–Madison
- Eric Gordon, Engagement Lab at Emerson College
- Mónica Guzmán, 2016 Nieman Fellow and Cofounder at The Evergrey
We’ll be using an exciting new engagement tool from the creators of Civil Comments: Civil Live. With this new technology, we’ll be able to solicit questions or thoughts from you in advance and in real time. You can join those in the room to upvote the questions and ideas to bring to the conversation. Keep an eye on this page Friday evening.