Check out the just-released video of the journalism panel that was organized and moderated by JTM’s Executive Director, Peggy Holman, for the National Coalition for Dialogue and Deliberation (NCDD) last October.
On the panel:
- Michelle Ferrier, Ph.D. – Associate Professor, E.W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University and Journalism That Matters board president
- Linda Miller – Director of Network Journalism & Inclusion, American Public Media Group and Journalism That Matters board member
- Chris Faraone – Co-Founder of the Boston Institute for Nonprofit Journalism
- Christa Case Bryant – Politics Editor for the Christian Science Monitor
- Ellen Mayer – Community Manager, Hearken
The panel was distinctive for a couple reasons:
- Based on the feedback we got, it shifted attitudes among civic engagement practitioners from “how do I get journalists to cover my work?” to “how can I partner with journalists in doing my civic engagement work?”
- Rather than being just information-out with an anemic Q&A, this panel successfully became a conversation in the room about what’s possible when journalists and civic engagement practitioners work together.